Re: both nics down after F14 kernel update

--- On Fri, 12/24/10, Dave Stevens <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kevin, Kevin and Antonio,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. I have booted in turn from
> each of my 2.6.35 kernels, .6, .9 and .10 with no change.
> For unknown reasons I am now able to bring up the port with
> the cable connnection to my router, but can not get out from
> there. I am currently typing on my netbook, cabled into the
> same router; it's getting out fine. Also, Ubuntu gets out
> fine.
>
> WTF??
>
> I see no other messages in the tail of /var/log/messages
> other than the two telling me that one port is up and the
> other is not. Well, I knew that anyway. lspci is below.
>
> ---------- start lspci ----------------
>
> 00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory
> Controller (rev a2)
> 00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge
> (rev a3)
> 00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a3)
> 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB
> Controller (rev a1)
> 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB
> Controller (rev a2)
> 00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev
> a1)
> 00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA
> Controller (rev a3)
> 00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA
> Controller (rev a3)
> 00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA
> Controller (rev a3)
> 00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge
> (rev a2)
> 00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
> 00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
> 00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express
> bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express
> bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express
> bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express
> bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express
> bridge (rev a3)
> 00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express
> bridge (rev a3)
> 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
> 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
> 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
> 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
> 01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370
> [AudioPCI]
> 05:00.0 PCI bridge: NEC Corporation uPD720400 PCI Express -
> PCI/PCI-X Bridge (rev 07)
> 05:00.1 PCI bridge: NEC Corporation uPD720400 PCI Express -
> PCI/PCI-X Bridge (rev 07)
> [...]

Dave,

I checked out site from Motherboard,

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=453

NVIDIA MCP55 - Marvell PHY 88E1121 LAN Driver

Note: Not all OS's that are listed as supported by this LAN driver will be supported for your particular motherboard. Check with TYAN technical support for the latest supported OS's for your motherboard

Apparently, there are some drivers provided by nvidia:
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/drivers_linux/nVidia_chipset/

The originals worked, but now they are not?  If you could do what Kevin suggested, reboot to a kernel that worked, and run
$ su -
passwd:
# lsmod

and boot to newer kernel and do the same, find out which kernel module is not loading?, the other option would be to download the drivers from nvidia and compile them against your running kernel and see if that fixes the problem.

Regards & Happy Holidays as well :)

Antonio