Re: Security ?

Alan Cox <alan <at> lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

I see it also from a different perspective.

I am wondering about the timing of it.

The "revelation" about a possible backdoor in OpenBSD, followed by dev's
(and not only) comments that FreeBSD and Linux may follow.
We know, realistically, that no software, even open-source, growing as it is,
can self-audit itself, and so is vulnerable.
So focusing on this issue in the public domain does not make much impact,
except for reminding us of it.
It is difficult to assume that open-source will implode because of that, even
if this particular case proves to be true. By its nature it is very resilient
due to popularity, informality, considerable know-how - there are always
"soldiers" ready to jump in and continue the job.
We know that open-source movement was a big contributor/implementer of
technical Internet, but also introduced new forms of social and economic
interactions.
And this may be a "salt" in the eyes of some interests, whose essence of
existence is control, in whatever domain. They like to discredit what they do
not like as well.

But, perhaps in a broader context, all this may make more sense.

With regard to the timing, whether indended or accidental, if you watch
the news about:
- "cyber war" already going on
- Internet "kill-switch" legislation introduction (actual or planned) by some
  "enlightened" US senator
- WikiLeaks "revelations" (known to 2 million plus US gov employees alone,
  not to mention people abroad) that are no secrets, but are released by
  former/current hackers on the Internet, and defended by them there,
  presumably for "open society and government" causes.
- future "revelations" to come, I guess
it is clear that we are in a different reality (not known to us 10 or more
years ago).
There seems to be a global consciousness developing (thanks to Internet, global
communications, global open-source movement for that matter, etc), while at
the same time forces are at work that would perhaps like to stop, compromise,
and reverse the clock.

Is Internet, as a global, free, open, exchange venue, with all the by-products
and movements attacked ?

I would say the open-source movement has to be prepared for how it is going to
function in case of "balkanization", limited or full controlls imposed by
The Powers That Be in various countries/blocks.

JB