Re: how to consolidate gnome panels

On 12/13/2010 07:11 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> by default with Fedora you get Gnome configured with:
> - the top panel with "Applications, ..." notifications, ecc
> - the bottom panel where there is trash icon, workspace switcher and
> open windows information (to minimize,restore, ecc)
>
> I would like to have a configuration with only one panel at bottom
> with the information of both.
> I can move the top panel down and get the trash icon and workspace
> switcher inside it, so that I can delete the other panel.
> But I don't know how to change display behaviour for windows
> information and where is this setting stored (aka where to configure
> which of the existing panels has to display it..)
>
> Anyone?
> Thanks in advance,
> Gianluca

Although you have probably, by now, figured all of this out on your own ...

Each of the default widgets on the panels are locked in place, and the
application manager does not appear unless you have an application open.

So, open at least one application, like firefox or a terminal so you can
see where that widget is.

Then you can right click on the widgets, unlock them, then drag them all
to the other bar.  i doesn't matter if you drag top to bottom or bottom
to top.

After you get them all on one panel, you can safely delete the other
one.  Personally, I always set my bottom bar to auto hide, so that means
I have to right click and set properties anyway, so if its at the top I
can simply change it to bottom at the same time as I set it to auto hide.

Good luck!