Re: BOOTMGR is missing, and now cannot login to Fedora either

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 21:28:24 -0000
"Barry Keeling" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just spent the whole weekend upgrading to Fedora14 (from v13) on my
> dual boot laptop, then decided to reboot to Vista, message BOOTMGR is
> missing, so tried to get back to Fedora 14, get the login screen,
> choose my account, type my password, but the login screen just keeps
> coming back. Tried to fix Vista with the windows disk, doesn't seem
> to see a problem with the Windows startup, still get the BOOTMGR is
> missing message... Don't know where to go from here, can anyone
> suggest ?

Can you flip to a console in F14 and login?  Ctrl-Alt-F2 through F6.
If you can login as root on a console, can you look at
/var/log/messages for any errors during boot, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log
for any errors from X regarding your attempted login?  Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets
you back to the gui/X.

As far as not being able to boot vista, how did you deal with
installing grub?  Did you install it on the MBR of the vista disk?  I
think you need to change your /boot/grub/grub.conf to chainload vista
from the grub menu.  I don't do that, so maybe someone else here can
help you.