Re: Helping with Hardware

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
<mjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 02:20 PM, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>> I've been using Linux for over 10 years, and I've been with Red Hat
>> since the 7.2 days and I've been using Fedora since it was first
>> announced.
>>
>> I've never gotten around to dealing with hardware issues seriously,
>> instead content to let things be and just hope the next release fixes
>> the problems I see. (It's surprising how well wait-and-upgrade works
>> as a strategy in Fedora!)
>>
>> My question is, how can I contribute to Fedora and thus the larger
>> Linux community through getting my hardware better supported? Or is it
>> just not suitable for a lay-person who knows how to program but
>> doesn't already have a background in these things to get involved?
>>
>> Do I need to set up my system so either I use it for work or I use it
>> to tinker with the hardware but not both at the same time?
>
> File bugs, and read bugs, both in the Fedora bugzilla and upstream (for
> whatever project). Often, hardware bugs will end up as "NEEDINFO"
> because the developer doesn't have the right hardware. You can help fill
> that gap by supplying the requested logs and running tests.
>
> You learn a lot just by reading bug reports in your area of interest,
> even if they don't affect you directly.

I will definitely do this.

> Install lots of *-debuginfo packages, so that crashing software supplies
> good backtraces.

I imagine the process is this.

(1) Use some software, watch it crash.

(2) Install the debuginfo packages

(3) Use it again til it crashes

(4) File a bug report

Right?

> If you feel adventurous, install rawhide on a spare computer, so you can
> file bugs early. Do not use rawhide on a must-work system. It WILL cause
> grief.

The few times in the past where I did feel adventurous, it wasn't
enough to get rawhide working at the time. I came really close when a
particular version of Fedora didn't like my video card, but I found a
way to manage.

> Buy cool hardware for developers, and for people who reply to you on
> mailing lists :-)

Actually, this last idea doesn't sound too bad. With hardware so cheap
nowadays, I might as well buy one for myself and three for some
developers. It'd be cheaper than the time. ;-)

Speaking of which, how does Fedora handle testing on hardware? Do we
just rely on individual developers and testers running Rawhide, or is
there a computer lab somewhere running umpteen different
configurations of hardware?

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx