Helping with Hardware

I've been using Linux for over 10 years, and I've been with Red Hat
since the 7.2 days and I've been using Fedora since it was first
announced.

I've never gotten around to dealing with hardware issues seriously,
instead content to let things be and just hope the next release fixes
the problems I see. (It's surprising how well wait-and-upgrade works
as a strategy in Fedora!)

My question is, how can I contribute to Fedora and thus the larger
Linux community through getting my hardware better supported? Or is it
just not suitable for a lay-person who knows how to program but
doesn't already have a background in these things to get involved?

Do I need to set up my system so either I use it for work or I use it
to tinker with the hardware but not both at the same time?

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx