Re: Launch metacity -- how by default??

On Sunday 05 December 2010 22:16:32 Beartooth wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:40:53 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 12/05/2010 01:07 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >> Use ^Z to suspend the process. You can start it in the background using
> >> bg.
> >
> > I'm not sure if even that will work if you close the terminal.
> >
> > nohup metacity
> >
> > will, however.
>
> 	I'm obviously not getting my question across. How do I get it to
> launch *on* *boot* -- knowing that it does not now.

AFAIK, a window manager *does* *not* , and *should* *not* , start on boot.
Rather, it is started on user login when (if) a desktop environment (such as
Gnome or KDE) is activated.

So in your case, metacity should *not* be launched on boot, but rather after
you log in and Gnome starts up. I'm a KDE user so I cannot tell you the
details, but you want to find some configuration dialog within Gnome to activate
metacity as the default window manager.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you used to use compiz --- which is
another window manager. Make sure to tell Gnome to use metacity instead of
compiz, and it should Just Work.

HTH, :-)
Marko