Re: how did I brea yum?

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 09:52 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 09:35 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> > > Error unpacking rpm package rdesktop-1.6.0-9.fc14.i686
> > > error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/rdesktop;4cf66925:
> > > cpio: open
> > > rdesktop-1.6.0-7.fc12.i686 was supposed to be removed but is not!
> > >
> > > Failed:
> > >  rdesktop.i686
> > > 0:1.6.0-9.fc14
> > >
> > > Complete!

What makes this worse is that I stupidly forgot to make a full backup
after I did the 12->13->14 upgrade, so I have no easy path back to a
working system. I would have to restore the F12 system from backup, then
do the whole upgrade over again. Might actually be easier to do a clean
install, then try to recover, but I do have an awful lot of local tweaks
that would take a very long time to completely recreate, so I would
really not want to have to do a fresh install.

No file systems are anywhere near full.

I have tried "yum clean all" and even removing the whole rpm database:

# rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
# rpm --rebuilddb

The immutable bit is not set on /usr/bin:

lsattr /usr | grep bin
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /usr/tmp
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on /usr/local
----------I---- /usr/bin
----------I---- /usr/sbin

I did try running "package-cleanup --orphans". rdesktop does not show up
in the list. I'm not sure what this is supposed to show; there are about
30 packages in the output.

I thought about trying to erase the old package and install fresh, but
the first thing that comes up is that there are other packages
(kdenetwork) that depend on rdesktop. This already leads me to believe
that proceeding this way will not work, since rdesktop not the entire
problem but only one example, but for diagnostic sake I thought I could
take one more step, and so tried "rpm -e rdesktop kdenetwork", and the
output from that is another weird error:

# rpm -e rdesktop kdenetwork
error: error creating temporary file /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.9dsVW0: Invalid
argument
error: Couldn't create temporary file for %
postun(kdenetwork-7:4.5.3-2.fc14.i686): Invalid argument

>From this it looks like something is very badly corrupted, but the
system is working aside from not being able to run yum or rpm. Although
I do not know if it will reboot properly if I shut it down.

--Greg