Re: Firefox and Opera on FC14 fail to access Globus site

On 12/01/2010 03:59 AM, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> Simply did not receive any data as indicated below.
> Thanks,
> AA

That implies a routing issue, outside your box.  (I used to do senior
support for an ISP; I know these things.)

> pingwww.globus.org
> PINGwww.globus.org  (192.5.186.47) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> From hpc240rtr-guava-gwv677.anchor.anl.gov (130.202.222.113)
> icmp_seq=24 Packet filtered

The machine is probably behind a firewall that doesn't accept pings to
prevent DDOS attacks.  Try this:

traceroute www.globus.org

If you get lots of timeouts, you may need to use ICMP packets, but for
some weird reason, that requires root.  (I do it often enough that I've
set suid on /bin/traceroute but I'm not suggesting anybody else do
that.)  If the above gets complaints, use this instead:

su -c 'traceroute -I www.globus.org'

Will show you how close you're getting and if there's any routing
problems.  I used su -c because I *don't* use sudo on my home machine
and don't expect anybody else to either.  YMMV, and if you're more happy
with sudo, substitute as needed; it's your machine, not mine.

Once you've documented where the issue is, call your ISP and let them
deal with it because that's what you're paying them for.