Re: Fedora14: Problme with pungi ?

On 11/05/2010 06:52 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Terry Barnaby <terry1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to track this down. Running the low level
>> /usr/libexec/anaconda/buildinstall script gives me errors saying that "strip" is
>> missing (No errors seen running pungi ...)
>> This could be causing the binary install to the initrd to fail prior to
>> setting permissions.
>> I am installing binutils and going to try again. I have been using a really
>> basic Fedora install from the livecd with the pungi package and some others
>> installed. If this works I suspect that pungi should have the package "binutils"
>> added as a dependency and a bit more error checking/reporting
>> should be in pungi ....
>>
>> Cheers
>
> It is not entirely clear what exactly you are doing - are you running
> this from an f14 system? Are you running a livecd for f14 and once
> that is running to then run pungi from the livecd?  If so have you
> executed a yum update before running pungi (you can do this even
> running a livecd)?  Have you pulled the latest kickstart file to
> execute with pungi (from git)?  Was the kickstart file edited from
> that provided from a standard livecd? Are you running this from
> another system such as f13 or f12?
>
> I have been running f14 builds from a mock chroot and executing pungi
> there with no problems once the kickstart files have been customised.
>
> Clearly since I have builds that work and you do not there must be
> something different about how the build procedure has been done!

What I did was to install a system from the Fedora14 live disk. I then
updated that system and installed the pungi package along with a few others.
The idea was to download a basic Fedora 14 system so I could produce a
full Fedora14 DVD with all updates and my extra packages.

This all appeared to work fine, but the DVD produced bu pungi had the errors
I reported.

I now have it working fine.
The problem was that the "stip" utility, which is in the binutils package was
not installed on the system. Ok, most people would probbaly have this but
the anaconda package used by pungi did not have this as a package dependency
and no error status was returned when it was not found.

So there are two small bugs:

1. The anacoda package should have "binutils" as a dependancy as
   buildinstall requires strip.
2. The buildinstall utility should have better error checking and return an
   error status when strip fails.

I will try and add the bug to the anaconda package.

Cheers

Terry