Re: I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:22:40 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/04/2010 01:05 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > As a user, you can either trust their judgment and go along with
> > LO, or oppose their judgment if you think you know better. And the
> > latter means, if you think you can criticize their choices, you
> > should at least be as competent as they are. And that implies
> > maintaining OO to be a no-brainer, right? :-)
>
> Please understand: I'm not saying I don't want to switch, I'm saying
> that both options should be there for those who want them.

While in principal that sounds reasonable, supporting every possible
choice is only going to be possible if there is sufficent manpower and
desire for it.

> Linux is,
> to a large extent, about choice.  You can chose your distro, your
> desktop, your shell, your editor, your browser, your email client and
> so on instead of being stuck with whatever whoever created the distro
> wants you to have and for the most part, you can get what you want
> properly packaged for your distro instead of having to know how to
> tweak a generic tarball, compile and install it.  I see no reason,
> frankly, why this type of support can't continue for OpenOffice, at
> least until it becomes clear that the vast majority of Fedora users
> aren't interested in it any more.

Because the fedora openoffice maintainers have moved to supporting
LibreOffice. Linux is about choice, but it's not about "every possible
choice for every possible desire". It's about "every choice where
someone is willing and able to drive that choice and support it".

> I've never used LibreOffice, I've never even heard of it before, so I
> have no reason to trust or not trust their judgment when it comes to
> deciding which is better.  I do, however, dislike their decision that
> "we know what everybody else wants and that's all we're going to
> supply."

You have trusted them to maintain the openoffice rpms you use from
Fedora, why wouldn't you trust them in this? As I mentioned in another
email this situation happens from time to time... upstreams change or a
newer better fork becomes available and after looking at the choices
the fedora maintainers choose what is best for them and the distro.

kevin