Re: Fedora F13 to F14 upgrade leaves RPM database with strange mix of fc13 and fc14 packages

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> F14 was done without a "mass rebuild" to rename fc13 to fc14.
>
> If you find something breaks because of a newer fc13, you may need to
> downgrade, otherwise if not broken. Maybe let them play together.

I understand now, thanks. I just wasn't expecting that and so I was
alarmed when I saw lots of packages that weren't fc14.  The system is
apparently working fine, but I just wasn't sure.

However, there are a couple strange things that aren't just explained
by not renaming (supposedly unchanged) packages.

1. I had a dependency conflict between the python3 and alchemy
packages; in which 'yum update' failed completely until I removed
alchemy.  (And this is what initially got me looking at all the
version numbers anyway)

2. If you upgrade from F13 to F14 ... AND you have a fully updated
F13 system (as of 2010-11-05); then you actually may have to
downgrade to get to F14.  There are apparently at least 7 packages
which have newer versions right now in F13 than they do in F14 !!

I am supposing that issue 2 is just caused by upstream patches
making it through the F13 release stream faster than the F14
stream??

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/