Re: wrong subject encoding in /var/mail/<user>

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 16:51 +0400, Hiisi wrote:
> Looking at the /var/mail/<someuser> file I found that subject fields
> are often in a wrong encoding while every other part of the message
> displayed correctly. Example:
> Subject: test =?koi8-r?Q?=D4=C5=D3=D4?=
> Is there some settings in sendmail configuration ti prevent this
> behavior? My system is:
> 2.6.32.21-168.fc12.i686
> sendmail-8.14.4-3.fc12.i686
> sendmail-cf-8.14.4-3.fc12.noarch

What can be done in the headers (such as the subject line) is quite
limited.  It has to go through, unscathed, various different mail
servers.  There isn't really any meta-subject data to be able to
describe how the subject will be encoded.  To do something non-ascii,
you have to bodge everything into the subject line.  Clients that can
decode it will show what was intended to be seen; clients that cannot,
will show all the instructions as the instructions.  It's probably no
more than assumption that UTF-8 in the subject line will be correctly
interpreted.

The message content is another matter, entirely.  It will have headers
that describe what the content is, those headers will be simple, but the
content could be anything, so long as it's encoded so that the encoded
stuff will pass through a 7-bit system.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686