Ksplice doesn't quite eliminate rebooting

I installed Ksplice and its Uptrack Manager on my 32-bit and 64-bit F13
laptops about a month ago during the last big kernel vulnerability flap.
My objective was to become more familiar with Ksplice before investing
in it for several RHEL servers.

Yesterday the Ksplice icon in the upper toolbar indicated new updates
were available. Specifically, there was a patch for CVE-2010-3432
"Remote denial of service vulnerability in SCTP" plus one other
involving garbage data on the kernel stack when handling signals (no
CVE).

Before running Ksplice Uptrack Manager I ran 'uname' to check the
running kernel version:

$ uname -a
Linux localhost@localdomain 2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686.PAE #1 SMP Wed Sep 15
03:27:15 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This did not change after running KUM. The contents of /etc/grub.conf
were also unchanged. It appears that Ksplice had updated only the code
running in RAM. To test this hypothesis, I rebooted the laptop. After
reboot, the Ksplice icon was in its normal state. When clicked it
reported the two installed updates, but neither /etc/grub.conf nor the
output of uname had changed.

So... Ksplice appears to fulfill its promise to keep a system updated,
but it does so dynamically in a way that will require changes in most
configuration management auditing processes. Tools that check the RPM
database won't work because neither rpm nor yum are used to apply
Ksplice updates. The output of uname won't change until I apply standard
update patches and reboot into a new kernel.

I must still run 'yum update' to apply kernel and other patches that
required rebooting before Ksplice. With Ksplice I don't actually have to
reboot after running 'yum update' because its dynamic patching mechanism
alters the running kernel on-the-fly, but my auditing and configuration
management tools can't correctly determine the system state. Before
those can work again I must still schedule downtime for a reboot.

The bottom line appears to be that Ksplice can dynamically patch a
system and allow uninterrupted operation indefinitely. It does so in a
way that invalidates auditing tools that are not Ksplice-aware.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL