Re: quasi-[OT] Adobe Flash

On Sunday, October 24, 2010 05:58:05 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 19:41 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Saturday 23 October 2010 03:51 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > I tried it using inotifywait(1), but it never terminates, i.e. the
> > > flash file persists even after the video has finished. I suspect it
> > > will stay there till a new video starts or the flash plugin (i.e. the
> > > browser process) dies.
> >
> > > tail -f -q --bytes=1G --pid=${pid} $in_file>  $out_file&
> >
> > Firstly that `--pid=${pid}' needs to be removed otherwise it waits for
> > the browser to exit.
>
> That wasn't clear originally, but I think you're right.

True, it was my mistake; --pid actually works as expected, but the problem is
that I thought that flash process had its own pid. If it is the pid of the
browser itself, then this option isn't much help.

> OK, I took another look and it seems we are talking at cross purposes
> here. On my system, using both Firefox and Chromium, the Flash plugin
> does *not* delete the buffer file when it has finished playing. The file
> only disappears when another file is opened or the browser terminates.
>
> This is on F13 using the 64-bit flash plugin in
> libflashplayer-10.0.d20.7.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz (from Adobe).
>
> If this is a different setup from what you have, I apologize for wasting
> everyone's time.

As Suvayu explained elsewhere, apparently the newer version of flash deletes
the /tmp/Flash* immediately after it creates it (but keeps the handle so it
can use it). But the point is to try to construct a catch-all script which
would work for both versions of flash. And the one we made "almost" does it.
:-)

We saw that the idea to use tail was feasible, the only remaining problem is
to give a signal to tail to die once the download is complete. This is a
problem because there seems to be no automatic way of finding out when the
download completes, short of closing the browser, since flash doesn't have its
own pid. At least I don't see a way.

So you are not wasting everyone's time, it's an interesting problem :-) . Of
course, for me this is more like an exercise in curiosity since one can always
use some other more sophisticated flash-download solution, but it would be nice
to see if we can pull it off with a simple script and a couple of standard unix
tools (ie. with no serious programming).

Best, :-)
Marko