Re: Multifunction printer with Linux support?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 09:52:00AM -0700, JD wrote:
>   On 10/23/2010 09:31 AM, Mauriat Miranda wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Darlene Wallach
> > <freepalestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> >> I saw very good reviews for a Brother MFC-8680DN
> >>
> >> http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC8680DN
> >>
> >> Costco has them:
> >> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11497614&whse=BD_827&topnav=bdoff&cat=30256&hierPath=74140*&lang=en-US
> >>
> > Have an 8480 networked.  Haven't tested all the features on Linux.
> > Brother in the past has been good for me with Linux.
> Brother told me they do not support Linux.
> They do not provide the same UI apps to interact
> with the printer for Linux as they do for Windows.
> In fact I have not seen any apps from them for Linux.
> That's why I always use the windows machine to do
> scanning, saving, faxing and copying. I have a shared
> folder on Windows, so whatever I save there is visible
> to my Linux machine.

But brother now DOES providie Linux drivers for Linux for most, if
not all, of their current printers.

at work we got a brother multifunction (8480, I think) and I found
drivers for it all on brother's web site. I've only tried the printer
portion, so far, but there are drivers for the scanner portion too.
I'd expect it to work with SANE and company once they're installed,
though as I said I haven't yet tried that.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------