Re: Can't remove package from update manager

  On 10/20/2010 09:42 PM, Silent-Hunter wrote:
>    On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> rpm -qa | grep zsnes
> [silent@TERMINAL-BMRF-9 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep zsnes
> zsnes-1.51-6.fc11.i586
>
> The one listed there is the one I want to keep. The one I don't want is
> removed, but it's still in the available packages, and it keeps trying
> to update.
There are 2 possible reasons:
1.
I believe that when you had installed the 64 bit version,
you had also installed other packages which in turn depend
on the presence of the 64 bit  zsnes, which you have removed.

Now, when you run yum update, yum detects the presence of
packages that depend on the now missing 64 bit zsnes, and it
tries to install it.

2.
Simply because you have kept the 32 bit version of zsnes,
yum decides to install the 64 bit version, because your
main architecture is 64 bit.

You can instruct yum to ignore 64 bit, and stick to 32 bits only,
but that would be way too drastic, since you had intimated that
your architecture is x86_64.