Re: su or sudo su?

Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Sent: Oct 18, 2010 2:13 PM
>To: James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: su or sudo su?
>
>On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 09:40 -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
>> Also root's home directory should NEVER be / (root) but rather
>> something like /home/root.
>
>Wrong.  Bad advice.  The following somewhat mitigates that, but you've
>muddied the water with bad advice in the first place.

I did not state /root but rather the base root directory '/'.  Anything else would be ok in my book from a security standpoint.

>> I've known of several folks who 'forgot' they were root or had either
>> sudo'd or su -'d and then issued the famous (or infamous) rm -rf *
>> wiping out the system or at least destroying critical files.
>
>It's fine for root to have /root as the home space.  So the "never" word
>is bad.  It's the default location.  And your advice may to scare the
>completely clueless into wrecking their system.
>
>It's a bad idea to put it in /home, because /home could be on an
>unmounted partition, and root may need access to its home space to fix a
>problem.  So if you're going to suggest shift it, don't suggest putting
>it /home.  Certainly not without complete explanation.

Never thought of that, thank you for the advice.  Most folks just install using the defaults and some systems default to root's home being the base root directory and not /root or /home/root.  Thus using su - will place you in the base root directory.  Danger, danger, danger as I stated above.

>Moving roots home further into the tree may help against some rm
>accidents, but it's by no means a foolproof solution.  Bad wildcarding
>choices will get them into the parent directory.  And prefixing the path
>with the slash will destroy "/" contents no matter where they started
>out working from.

We cannot fix stupid and some users scare me.  That's why they don't get sudo and will never get root's password either.

But thank you for the good advice here.  I never thought of /home being a mounted partition and /root not being one (when I build a system I tend to overdo the number of independent partitions.)

James McKenzie