Re: How to get f 12 -- *t*w*e*l*v*e*, twelve???

On 8 October 2010 00:07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Beartooth wrote:
>>
>>       Every download site I've tried -- several, especially
>> fedoraproject ones -- comes up on a search for F12, but the minute I
>> click on a link, it sneaks in F13.
>>
>>       This is offensive.
>>
>>       How do override it? I've *got* 13 on most machines, and regret it
>> all day, every day. I ever tried preupgrade to F 14 beta -- in vain. It
>> preserved the misery I'm trying to escape.
>>
> The only two real problems I have seen with FC13 are video (if you have Intel,
> ATI or Nvidea other than the latest use vendor drivers or vesa mode), and the
> endlessly denied bug involving trying to use the network after suspend before
> the network is restarted. Removal of NetworkMangler and custom network scripts
> will fix that.
>
>>       All  can see left is to revert to 12, if I have to DBAN each
>> machine and install 12 from scratch; make sure it's right; and preupgrade
>> to F 14 in November. But I seem to have deleted both my F12 ISO and the
>> DVD I had burned of it.
>>
> I have had much better luck doing an upgrade after booting an FC13 install DVD.
> I'm 5 of 6 for that, 1 of 3 for preupgrade. In general a reinstall is better,
> and setting up to allow that during initial install makes that fairly painless.

I had a bunch of related problems with F13 - no events were generated
when the laptop lid was closed, so it didn't sleep or lock,
logout/shutdown would hang. Despite some help from this list, the only
fix I found was to install the latest F12 kernel and use that instead.
If your problems have the same cause, then installing an old kernel
will be much less effort than installing an old fedora. Of course
it'll run into the same 'obsolete' problem in a month or so time...

Regards,

Chris