Re: wodim and speed setting

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 08:30 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I never have to set the speed on burning CDs,

Audio CDs?  If so, that's down to a couple of things.  Firstly, having
an audio CD player that will handle burnt discs, most players built in
the last decade seem to be fine.  Secondly, audio CD players have an
*awful* lot of error correcting that conceal playback problems.  Audio
can get away with faking some estimated data, but computing data has to
be precisely correct.

Some of the early CD players had error lights, which would blink to show
you when it was having to cover over playback errors.  It was
interesting to watch just how bad some discs were, but playback was
apparently okay.

> always run into problems with DVDs, LiveCDs,and video DVDs, that fail
> to run correctly UNLESS I include the speed=4 option..

I've only ever had to do slow burns to deal with someone else's problem
(crappy old and dirty hardware that had trouble reading discs).  I
occasionally do a slow burn if giving a disc to a stranger, just in
case, but I've never had anyone bring anything back asking to sort out a
non-playing disc.

Sometimes you're just lucky with the hardware that you have, and I
deliberately buy the best discs that I find, rather than the cheapest.
I think the latter is the prime cause of most people's disc problems
(they buy the cheapest crap they can get, or have no damn idea that some
particular brand is crappy).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686