Re: Copy and paste in Terminal

On Thursday, October 14, 2010 05:22:33 Alex wrote:
> > And you are missing the point.  There are two separate processes.  One
> > of them copy/pastes to the system wide copy/paste "buffer", is the same
> > as EDIT/copy and EDIT/paste in most menus, and can be bound to
> > keystrokes or either c-c and c-v or similar.  The other is done by just
> > highlighting text with the mouse.  You are describing the 2nd process.
> > I was showing you that the 2 processes are separate and different.  The
> > OP was claiming that the 2nd process no longer worked for him (but I'm
> > unsure on what version of Fedora he is running), but that using the
> > copy/paste commands (not mouse clicks) worked for him, but he wanted the
> > mouse stiff to work for him again....
>
> Yes, that's correct. I know at some point in the distant past, when I
> last really used Linux on the desktop, I was able to copy/paste by
> just highlighting in X11 and ctrl-v to paste (without having to use
> ctrl-c to copy), or just pressing the right mouse button in an xterm.

Ummm, maybe in the distant past, I wouldn't know. But at least since Fedora
Core 1, the "clipboard" (used by ctrl-c and ctrl-v) is completely separated
from the "selection" (used by the mouse-left and mouse-middle buttons). I
regularly use both in text editors, and enjoy the fact that that I can copy-
paste something with a mouse while copy-pasting something else with the
keyboard, at the same time. It can be quite neat (when editing TeX, for
example), and I remember I've been using this since quite some time.

The system behaves like having two separate clipboards, and I get extremely
frustrated when I need to work in a Windows environment which has only one
clipboard and no mouse selection functionality... :-)

> The middle button is a bit difficult for me, because it tends to
> scroll while I'm pressing down on it, causing weird results.

I suggest you buy a mouse with a less sensitive wheel. I had the same problem
with my old mouse.

> i'm using FC13, but I really doubt it's related to the version. It's
> such a fundamental feature that I can't see how it would have changed.

I'd say it changed a looong time ago. I've used Linux since RH6.2 days, and
don't remember that the two clipboards were ever shared in any way. And since
FC1 onwards I do remember they are not shared.

> Ideally, I'd like to be able to highlight text in any application and
> have it automatically copied to the buffer, then use the right mouse
> button, or ctrl-v, to paste somewhere else.

Maybe this can be configured using some clipboard manager software or
something. I never investigated it that much. But it isn't default behavior.

Also, be aware that mouse copy-paste action is handled by two different
services --- when you are in X, it is handled internally by X. When you are in
the ctrl-alt-f2 terminal or such, it is handled by the gpm daemon service
(which should be run automatically at boot time). You can read man gpm for
more information about this.

Best, :-)
Marko