Re: wodim and speed setting

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 12:05 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I normlly burn with speed=4. but

Tangential question:  Are you guys using media that supports such slow
speeds?  And, if you are not, and if you could previously burn slower,
that might be down to burning software overriding the data that the disc
says.

I say this because I've seen, in at least in some DVD media, discs
reporting that they support only a few speeds, none of which was 1x.
Which, theoretically, would preclude reliably using them in standalone
DVD video recorders, as a straight record TV to DVD is done at single
speed.  And, I'm sure, a similar situation will exist for CD media.

It's common for the media to report that it can burn at a few specific
speeds, and you have to hope that some of them match the speeds that
your burner can run at.

$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-T20N ][WR02]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         10h, DVD-ROM
 Media ID:              MCC 03RG20
 Current Write Speed:   8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#0:    02/2285887 R@xxxxxxxx=2292KB/s W@xxxxxxxx=11080KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    02/2285887 R@xxxxxxxx=2292KB/s W@xxxxxxxx=5540KB/s

The above example is from a Verbatim DVD-R disc.  According to the disc,
itself, it can *only* be written at 8x or 4x.  I don't have any other
writeable media to hand, at the moment, to test.

While you may get away with forcing some media to burn at unsupported
speeds, I can well imagine there being reliability problems.  Just like
photography, burning a disc needs the right balance of laser exposure
power and exposure time.  Some high speed media may be optimised for
only burning at high speed.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686