Re: f13 pulse and passthrough

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 23:16 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> I've had a look and the only thing I can find on this is an unresolved
> bug report. Which is odd, because prior to pulse every sound system I
> ever used let you play the sound in directly to sound out. Anyway the
> situation is this: I'd like to be able to play a guitar through my
> sound card and be able to listen to backing tracks and other things at
> the same time. The suggested "pacmd load-module module-loopback" isn't
> viable as it has latency. JackD works fine for guitar (and I can use
> things like rakarrack or guitarix which are good fun), but using JACK
> seems to mean I can't use other sound sources (presumably it connects
> to ALSA).

I think you're going to have to clearly define what you mean by pass
through the audio, because you've brought up two very different things,
describing what you want to do, and what interests you.

To me, that means sound going into an input socket, and the sound card's
audio mixer passing it through to the output, by turning up a monitor
fader.  This requires nothing more than to control the hardware mixer in
the sound card.  The various Gnome or KDE volume controls should be able
to do this for you, or alsamixer through the console.

To others, they might be thinking of inputting audio, processing it
through the computer, and outputting the end result (with or without any
effects).  This could be done through pulse, or JACK.  But would require
a system that could *play* your inputted audio at the same time as
playing your backing tracks.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686