Re: VSFTPD 421 Service not availabl

On 2 October 2010 23:58, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2 October 2010 23:56, stan <gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 23:37:40 +0100
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not
> install VSFTPD with it.
>
> On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to
> function.
>
> [root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhost
> Trying ::1...
> ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> ftp> quit
>
> I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11
> server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly
> the same responce.

This is probably a problem with the firewall.  Did you open ports 20
and 21?

And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high
range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use.  You have
to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration.  I also had to
open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.

If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned
on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what
it is too.

It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.

My other F11 server is working fine, and that does not have any extras.

Its not iptables, thats exactly the same across the two machines.

Aaron