Re: VSFTPD 421 Service not availabl

On 2 October 2010 23:56, stan <gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 23:37:40 +0100
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not
> install VSFTPD with it.
>
> On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to
> function.
>
> [root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhost
> Trying ::1...
> ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> ftp> quit
>
> I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11
> server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly
> the same responce.

This is probably a problem with the firewall.  Did you open ports 20
and 21?

And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high
range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use.  You have
to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration.  I also had to
open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.

If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned
on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what
it is too.

It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.

My other F11 server is working fine, and that does not have any extras.

Aaron