Re: password change does not work: LDAP, sssd, nss or pam error?

On 10/07/2010 10:40 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 16:13 +0200, Volker Potworowski wrote:
>> Hello Matthew,
>>
>> am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2010 schrieb Matthew J. Roth:
>>
>>> Have a look at the 389 Directory Server [..]
>>
>> I hesitate to install another Directory Server, just because I made some
>> moronic errors (at least this is what I assume) in the configuation the pretty
>> standard OpenLDAP server. Anyway, when I do not see a chance of fixing it, I
>> will of course give the 389 Directory Server a try.
>>
>> So again: Is there somebody out there using an OpenLDAP server / clients
>> completely on Fedora 13 + can the users change their LDAP-Passwords?
> ----
> I agree with you that it really shouldn't make any difference which LDAP
> server you are using and I am presuming that this 'user' is trying to
> change his password on a system that is not the LDAP server but rather
> an LDAP client.

Yes, I agree. Which LDAP server he's using is not the issue. I think
Matthew's point was more of "389 does this out of the box, while
OpenLDAP requires complicated configuration to enable this", so if
Volker is setting up LDAP for the first time, it might be simplest to go
with 389.

As I said earlier, I myself am not versed in setting up OpenLDAP (I use
FreeIPA, which is based on 389), but the real place to ask about
configuration issues would be on the openldap-software mailing list:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/

> I have done this with previous versions of Fedora and if you are willing
> to wait until Sunday, I will test it out at home (I don't use LDAP for
> Fedora client authentication at my house, only Samba clients and on the
> LDAP server itself).

It's also worth noting that there's going to be an OpenLDAP Test Day for
Fedora 14 on October 14th. This might also be a good place to ask
configuration questions:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-10-14_OpenLDAP/NSS

Finally, if your problem is urgent, try joining the IRC channel
#openldap on irc.freenode.net and ask there.

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.