Re: Can I know which fedora is stable?

Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Sent: Sep 30, 2010 10:00 PM
>To: Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Cc: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Can I know which fedora is stable?
>
>On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 00:43:28 +0100,
>  Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Where is that stated?
>>
>> It isn't stated in those terms, but it is an accepted representation of the
>> status quo.
>
>Not universally. There is a difference between being a beta and being an
>early show case of new technologies.

Fedora is used as an test platform for the various RedHat technology releases and Red Hat Linux has stated this from the first release of the program.  That my friend is tech speak for 'wide beta'.  Red Hat is very interested in what breaks for the common user of their Linux products and whether or not a fix works and does not cause further problems.

As to the six month cycle, that was also stated from the beginning.  This is to allow 'refreshes' of the product and to allow folks to run on a clean build of Fedora.

Yes, there are 'alpha' and 'beta' releases of Fedora as well.  This is to allow early detection of problems on the Fedora user base systems which vary from brand new equipment to equipment twenty years old (yes there are folks running Fedora on Pentium II based systems and it works unlike a major name brand operating system.)

So, if we are using 'stable' as in released, Fedora Core 13 is the latest with Fedora Core 14 in the soon to be release state (beta) if nothing goes majorly wrong.  This is as clear an answer to the OPs original question.

Again, the Fedora project does not recommend running FC in a production environment because things do go wrong, but they do want people to 'beat the bugs out' and run it in a similiar to environment (use it as if you were on production, but not with critical, cannot loose data.)

James McKenzie