Re: Video in a small window -

On 09/26/2010 07:52 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>   On 26/09/10 07:36, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

>>>         Neither mplayer or totem will display the mjpeg video stream? It
>>>         was suggested that a codec could be obtained from
>>>         http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/. I found an rpm
>>>         there, installed it but to no avail.
>>>
>>>         I probably should investigate mplayer further ...
>> Post exactly the command line with which you invoked mplayer, and the
>> output messages it generated, there is usually a lot of good info what
>> went wrong. Both VLC and mplayer use ffmpeg (while Totem uses
>> gstreamer instead), so codecs should not be a problem if VLC plays
>> properly. My guess is that mplayer just needs to be invoked properly,
>> GUIs usually suck at translating to correct cli options...
>>
>> And my advice is to forget Totem. VLC and mplayer are more than
>> enough, along with Xine. Totem is there only because it isn't patent
>> encumbered.
>>
>> :-)
>> Marko
> Ok, I found an error in the command I typed, mjpg typed mjpeg!
>
>     [bobg@box9 ~]$ mplayer http://192.168.1.51/mjpg/video.mjpg -user
>     admin  -passwd 1234
>
> Mplayer thrashed around for a while, I assume doing its password
> verification routine. Once it settled and brought up the image it was ok
> although the command window produces a continuous stream  as below:
>
>     Cache not filling!8%  3%  0.0% 0 0 0%
>     Cache not filling!
>     Cache not filling!8%  3%  0.0% 0 0 0%
>     Cache not filling!8%  3%  0.0% 0 0 0%
>     Cache not filling!8%  3%  0.0% 0 0 0%
>     Cache not filling!8%  3%  0.0% 0 0 0%
>
> I will experiment with it further.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

Pretty sure you can accomplish what you want with VLC.
You can for instance:
vlc --scale .25 -I dummy http://someIP/somevideo.mpg
or
cvlc --scale .25 http://someIP/somevideo.mpg

use CTRL+q to quit

There are lots of command line options to vlc http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help
only think I couldn't figure out quickly was how to force the position of the window where I want it tried using --video-x and
--video-y with --no-embedded-video (could be cause I'm using XFCE?)
Also you might play with the vlc preferences with minimal view mode or try something like --qt-minimal-view

-Tomas