Re: Video in a small window -

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On 26/09/10 05:39, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Why don't you just use mplayer? Something like
>>
>> mplayer -vf scale=64:48 -ontop yourvideostream
>>
>> or similar.
>
>        Neither mplayer or totem will display the mjpeg video stream? It
>        was suggested that a codec could be obtained from
>        http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/. I found an rpm
>        there, installed it but to no avail.
>
>        I probably should investigate mplayer further ...

Post exactly the command line with which you invoked mplayer, and the
output messages it generated, there is usually a lot of good info what
went wrong. Both VLC and mplayer use ffmpeg (while Totem uses
gstreamer instead), so codecs should not be a problem if VLC plays
properly. My guess is that mplayer just needs to be invoked properly,
GUIs usually suck at translating to correct cli options...

And my advice is to forget Totem. VLC and mplayer are more than
enough, along with Xine. Totem is there only because it isn't patent
encumbered.

:-)
Marko