kmod-catalyst and monitor config

I needed working ogl for a couple cad apps so I installed the kmods (akmods wouldn't
compile on latest on latest kernel, so running 1 behind present).

When I first booted, I had my laptop and external monitor working, res on ext was low.
So I disabled LVDS and set CRT1 to 1680x1050 (Auto) but it wouldn't change, so I went
down one res setting, then back and it changed?

Subsequent reboots though keep setting it low. What's with the (Auto) in the 1680x1050 setting and the changing
behavior? xorg.conf is as the catalyst install left it. livna-config-display crashes when run.

Thanks!
jlc