Re: Unable to blank DVD+R R/W

--- On Sat, 9/25/10, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Unable to blank DVD+R R/W
> To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 1:36 AM
> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 10:11 +0200,
> Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> > There are two programs what you could use to write
> CD's, DVD's - one
> > is the deprecated: and well hated bogus wodim (what is
> an debian
> > zombie fork of an old-timer cdrtools), and the another
> is libburnia.
> > If you look around, between the gnome/kde programs
> mostly they are
> > looking for wodim - but couldn't tell you why. But
> sometimes they are
> > using libburnia, witch currently under development,
> but works like a
> > charm. The problem exists mostly because of wodim -
> there are many
> > types of bugs, what includes permission rights and
> many more types
> > too. I don't know why are the programs are still using
> this engine...
>
> I can't say that I've had problems with wodim, it does what
> it's
> supposed to, as it's supposed to.

For cd's it is ok, but it does sometimes have problems, which are are not in the original BTW.  I can confirm that is the case.  I have had some bad burns that I tried to burn at slower speed because wodim could not control the speed after I told it to burn at 4x.  The original fixed this problem for that writer.

> I did have problems
> with the
> cdrtools, which required an extra encumbered thing to be
> able to burn
> DVDs.

That might have been a while ago, while like on Fedora 3 or Fedora 4? where the author might have been asking for a key to be able to burn DVDs.  Plus Fedora used device names for burning and Joerg S, uses scsi names like 1,0,0 and that did not go well for either party.  But cdrtools built for Fedora worked well, and the same cannot be said for cdrkit since there are some bugs.  The cd code works fine, but for DVDs, the code has a long way to go to achieve the same maturity that cdrtools has.    For a great while now, the cdrtools toolkit has had DVD burning capability with no complaints.

> The author did themselves no favours with their attitude,
> either.
> Changes in licensing, then all the bitching...

This is another issue, not taking away from his contributions to the free software world.  Debian and original cdrtools author were at it, then since Debian is like the leader, Fedora followed and removed the cdrtools suite.  Other folks don't complain, and have had cdrtools on their distros.  Still the FSF has not found Debian, and Fedora for that matter "FREE ENOUGH" :(

> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is
> ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.
>

> --

Regards,