Re: Ethernet Card Recommendations?

----- Original Message -----
From: "JD" <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "KC8LDO" <kc8ldo@xxxxxxxx>; "Community support for Fedora users"
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: Ethernet Card Recommendations?

> On 09/23/2010 07:14 PM, KC8LDO wrote:
>> I'm looking at adding in a PCI Ethernet card to experiment with Ethernet
>> bridging using the motherboard gigabit chipset with it. The motherboard
>> chipset seems to be working OK and I would like a recommendation for an
>> add
>> in card that is known to work fine with Linux. A 10/100 or a 10/100/1000
>> card would be fine. I don't need anything fancy but it has to have a low
>> profile bracket to fit in a Gateway or HP slimline case.
>>
>> Regards;
>>
>> Leland C. Scott
>> KC8LDO
>>
> There are many low profile Intel based ether cards for
> very little money. Most intel ether cards are supported
> in Linux.
> Just visit your nearest Frys Electronics. They always have
> a large selection of pci cards.

Thanks. I asked because I have a Dell box setup at work and Fedora-11 (64
bit version running on an i7-860) which won't work with the motherboard
gigabit Ethernet chipset. I didn't want to buy something that wasn't going
to work. I had to "recycle" an old 10/100 card out of a junk computer to get
the system on-line for updates at the time. Funny thing is I have several
boxes at home with motherboard gigabit Ethernet chip sets that seem to work
fine with several different Fedora versions. Go figure.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly
because you are a good person is like
expecting the bull not to charge you
because you are a vegetarian."

Rabbi Harold Kushner