Re: Build bash 3.2 rpm package

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 19:46 -0300, Bruno Galindro da Costa wrote:
> Sam,
>
>    When you mean 'nuke all other files' what do you want to mean?
> Delete all other files?
>
>    If I download the source package (e.g. bash-3.2-24.el5.src.rpm for
> Red Hat 5), install it, grab only the spec file and put it
> in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, put all other files
> in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory and try to do a rpmbuild
> -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/bash.spec, could it work?

Better to put these in your home directory. Install the rpm-build and
rpmdevtools packages, then run these commands as a regular user:

	rpmdev-setuptree   # creates ~/rpmbuild tree
	rpm -i bash*src*rpm # installs SRPM into above tree

The bash.spec file will end up in ~/rpmbuild/SPECS and the sources in
~/rpmbuild/SOURCES. Then you can edit the spec as you see fit, and build
as a regular user with:

	rpmbuild -ba nameofpackage.spec

Alternately, if you have a srpm that you want to build without any
changes, "rpmbuild --rebuild whatever.src.rpm" will do it.

-Chris