Re: change login screen to KDE

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 16:56 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 09/22/2010 04:37 PM, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> > Thank you all for help.
> >
> > I verified kdm is installed and even removed gdm,now
> >  I get a console window instead of a login screen.  I installed all the GDM
> >  packages I could find with yum, still no go.I had to create the
> > /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> >  file, don't think if that makes a difference
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 08:42 -0600, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> >     > I have googled and googled on how to make the login screen use KDE
> >     > rather than Gnome on Fedora 13.  Many references say to put
> >     > DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE in /etc/sysconfig/desktop however when I do that I
> >     > get a console window for the login screen.  I have even tried a
> >     > lowercase kde rather than an uppercase, still no good.  I have an FC12
> >     > install that works fine but it only has KDE installed.
> >
> >     Since you asked for "any" help...
> >
> >     Historical information:
> >     http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-guide/ch-sysconfig.html
> >     The /etc/sysconfig/desktop file specifies the desktop for new users and
> >     the display manager to be run when entering runlevel 5.
> >
> >     Correct values are:
> >
> >     DISPLAY=<value>, where <value> is one of the following:
> >
> >                    GNOME — Selects the GNOME desktop environment.
> >
> >                    KDE — Selects the KDE desktop environment.
> >
> >     DISPLAYMANAGER=<value>, where <value> is one of the following:
> >
> >                    GDM — Selects the GNOME display manager.
> >
> >                    KDM — Selects the KDE display manager.
> >
> >                    XDM — Selects the XFree86 display manager.
> >
> >     The first two are what you get after you've logged in.  Your desktop
> >     being handled by Gnome or KDE, or others that aren't listed in this
> >     example.  The last three being the logon screen, beforehand.
> >
> >     You can use KDM as your logon handler, and Gnome as your desktop
> >     handler, or other combinations.  Though, the last time I tried XDM, it
> >     didn't set up a few things as I logged in, so that Gnome didn't work
> >     properly.  Darned if I can remember what, it was a long time ago, and
> >     may no longer be the case, but it's somewhere on the Fedora mailing list
> >     archives.
> >
> >     Installing KDM or GDM should be separate issues than installing Gnome or
> >     KDE.  Theoretically, one shouldn't depend on the other.  i.e. You can
> >     install KDM, without having to install all of KDE.
> >
> >     --
> >     [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> >     2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
> >
> >     Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
> >     read messages from the public lists.
> >

> >     --
> >

> > --
> > Jamie Bohr
> >

> Based on my experience of just trying the supposedly correct values
> above, they did not work for Fedora 13. Whereas the following does work
> even if gdm and kdm are installed.
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

I can confirm this, because /etc/X11/prefdm has the following options:

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
	. /etc/sysconfig/desktop
	if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
		preferred=/usr/sbin/gdm
		quit_arg="--retain-splash"
	elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
		preferred=/usr/bin/kdm
		quit_arg="--retain-splash"
	elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = WDM ]; then
		preferred=/usr/bin/wdm
	elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
	        preferred=/usr/bin/xdm
        elif [ -n "$DISPLAYMANAGER" ]; then
		preferred=$DISPLAYMANAGER
	else
		quit_arg="--retain-splash"
	fi
else

=> it's KDE, not KDM

Regards,
Germán.

--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)