Re: change login screen to KDE

Thank you all for help.

I verified kdm is installed and even removed gdm,now
 I get a console window instead of a login screen.  I installed all the GDM
 packages I could find with yum, still no go.I had to create the /etc/sysconfig/desktop
 file, don't think if that makes a difference

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 08:42 -0600, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> I have googled and googled on how to make the login screen use KDE
> rather than Gnome on Fedora 13.  Many references say to put
> DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE in /etc/sysconfig/desktop however when I do that I
> get a console window for the login screen.  I have even tried a
> lowercase kde rather than an uppercase, still no good.  I have an FC12
> install that works fine but it only has KDE installed.

Since you asked for "any" help...

Historical information:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-guide/ch-sysconfig.html
The /etc/sysconfig/desktop file specifies the desktop for new users and
the display manager to be run when entering runlevel 5.

Correct values are:

DISPLAY=<value>, where <value> is one of the following:

               GNOME — Selects the GNOME desktop environment.

               KDE — Selects the KDE desktop environment.

DISPLAYMANAGER=<value>, where <value> is one of the following:

               GDM — Selects the GNOME display manager.

               KDM — Selects the KDE display manager.

               XDM — Selects the XFree86 display manager.

The first two are what you get after you've logged in.  Your desktop
being handled by Gnome or KDE, or others that aren't listed in this
example.  The last three being the logon screen, beforehand.

You can use KDM as your logon handler, and Gnome as your desktop
handler, or other combinations.  Though, the last time I tried XDM, it
didn't set up a few things as I logged in, so that Gnome didn't work
properly.  Darned if I can remember what, it was a long time ago, and
may no longer be the case, but it's somewhere on the Fedora mailing list
archives.

Installing KDM or GDM should be separate issues than installing Gnome or
KDE.  Theoretically, one shouldn't depend on the other.  i.e. You can
install KDM, without having to install all of KDE.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
read messages from the public lists.

--
Jamie Bohr