Re: Radeon ATI HD3650 or Nvidia 8600M GT

  On 9/19/10 4:30 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2010 03:49 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>> Get the laptop with the nVidia card.  Their drivers are much better than
>> AMDs (Catalyst 10.7 broke a bunch of things.)
>>
> That is assuming the OP wants to use proprietary drivers.
True.  However, the open source drivers have problems of their own (and
we all know that no software product is perfect.)
> As far as I see, the OP's options include relatively older chipsets.
> That means he is going to have much better support with the open source
> drivers. In that case ATI is a far more reasonable choice.
This is a different story.  Thank you for the correction.
> FWIW I play 3D FPS games on my HD4870 with the open source radeon drivers.
That is great.

How about 2D performance for something like OpenOffice.org?   Would it
still be better to get the ATI chipset vice the nVidia one or is it
neutral at that point?

James McKenzie