Re: Problem with USB KVM Switch.

On 19 Sep 2010 at 8:18, Tom Horsley wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:18:35 -0400
From:           	Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx>
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        	Re: Problem with USB KVM Switch.

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:03:25 +1000
> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>
> > Is this a problem with the KVM switch or with the Monitor using default
> > settings. Don't understand why it sees the monitor as unknown even when it
> > is the selected PC on the swich at boot up.
>
> Do you have the KVM switched to the system at the time it is booting?
> If not, very few KVM switches (possibly none of them) are smart enough
> to provide the EDID info that new versions of X insist on. I have heard
> rumor of kernel options to override EDID on the kernel boot line,
> but never seen an example.
>
> If you do have it switched to the system while it is booting, then
> it is probably just a problem with the KVM switch (different switches
> are very spotty when it comes to supporting all this stuff correctly).
>
> I have a 4 port usb/DVI switch that is branded IOGEAR but I think
> actually made by ATEN. It is the only KVM switch I've ever had that
> has worked pretty much flawlessly.

Have it working now, but had to do a number of things.
Found that adding nomodeset to the kernel line would get it to come up with
the 1280x1024, but I had my userid set to have compiz, and it would not log
in, but other accounts could log in ok. Had to remove compiz, and then could
log into my id, but the the screens were not working correctly. Missing outer
boxes. Finally found that a gnome subdirectory file had a compiz-gtk line in it
under a sessions directory. Removing it, since it was in the other users
directories fixed that issue finally.