Re: Adding a second IP address with NM

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 12:41 -0700, JD wrote:

> On 09/14/2010 12:38 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > JD wrote:

> >> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-multiple-ip-addresses-on.html
> > NM has changed significantly since 2005. I recommend deleting this
> > bookmark from your browser.
> >
> > You can easily add a second IP from within the NM applet found in your
> > system tray. Edit the "System eth0" connection or wireless connection
> > and on the IPv4 page add another IP. Alternatively you can setup a brand
> > new connection just for this purpose.
> >
> > No need to bust out the terminal.
>
> You did not read what the OP said:
>
> "At one time I knew how to do  this without NM"
>
> He wants to do it without the NM.

Peace friends!! If I can use NM, I will. The reference to doing things
the old fashioned way was a bit of a jab on my part against the current
philosophy of replacing old fashioned configuration skills with "You
don't need to know how to do things" utilities. I also used to know how
to compile a custom kernel to match my hardware, and how to use
XF86config to fine tune my X servers. At one time I also used bias-ply
tires. :-P

Some detail...  I run a DHCP service on a RHEL5 box to assign reserved
IP addresses to designated MAC addresses from a public/routable 5-bit
CIDR set to laptops when they're connected to local network. This is a
recent upgrade from a prior configuration where local/non-routable
addresses were used. The only trouble is I've lost access to local
printers with JetDirect interfaces set up in the old non-routable
address space. I figured that binding their old non-routable address to
each laptop's Ethernet port would bridge that gap and enable access to
those local network printers. If this can be done with NM, I'd want to
make this additional binding default to OFF to prevent any undesired
interaction in other networks.

So, Michael, can I do this with NM?

--Doc