Re: Making Fedora boot faster

On 09/13/2010 12:48 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
>> I thought to make my Fedora system boot faster. For that I thought to
>> disable unnecessary kernel modules and services. So I want to know in
>> detail what each and every kernel module and service do so that I can
>> disable which are no needed. Can anyone here provide me with a
>> detailed documentation on the kernel modules and services?
> Disabling kernel modules is going to do absolutely nothing for you.
>
> Your kernel boots in a matter of seconds. The real time waster is that
> piece of hardware you call a hard disk drive. All of the services
> started up cause some heavy disk I/O that no rotating drive can handle
> very well.
>
> The solution? Buy an SSD.
>
> Sincerely,
> A Fedora user who boots in less than 8 seconds.
As a an intermediate solution,
run /usr/bin/system-config-services
and disable services you think you do not need.
It could help a bit.
also, is your drive a 7200rpm eSATA2 ?
That would be a good interim solution too. That
is what I run and I have no problem with slow boots.
Also, you might consider using a lighter than gnome desktop.
There were posts on this list about what would be such a lightweight
desktop.

Good luck.