Re: Problems installing with multiple drives

Emmett Culley wrote:
> I have an Asus MB in a system with five SATA drives and an SATA DVD burner.  Each time I attempted to install Fedora 13 it would fail to reboot after the installation.  I finally noticed that upon reboot the drive names (e.g. /dev/sda) would change.  I'd configure sda and sdb to create md0 (/boot) and md1 (Physical volume), but upon restart sda would be named /dev/sde and all other drives would be named sdf, sdg, sdh and sdi.
>
> No matter how many time I attempted to install, the drive device names would always be different upon first reboot.   Sometimes during installation anaconda would show me /dev/sda through /dev/sde during drive configuration, yet it would still reboot with /dev/sde through /dev/sdi.  Other time anaconda showed me /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdi, /dev/sdj and /dev/sdk.
>
> I was finally able to get a "good" installation by only selecting the two drives with md0, md1 and swap space within the storage select dialog.  The system rebooted and is operational, I suppose because the only partitions used were either identified by UUDI or mapper (LVM partitions), because the two drives show up as devices /dev/sdf and /dev/sdg, yet they started out as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb during installation.
>
> I had a somewhat similar issue with Fedora 12 in that it would never automatically recognize the md2 and md3 that were defined for the next two drives in the system.  I was required to running partprobe on each drive (/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd) then mdadm to assemble the raid pairs.
>
> I cannot see how this can be a hardware issue, but it is the only system I've installed with more that two drives.
>
> I suppose I should put in a bug report, and I will, but I'd like to know if I am the only on experiencing this issue.

Haven't seen that one since RH8 days, IIRC it's causes by the initrd file
raid partitions and then the mount will be done using UUID to get things right.

You *may* be able ro solve this by writing a boot record to every drive (see
grub-install) or by using fdisk to be sure you don't have a lot of partitions
marked as bootable. It may also be caused by having the RAID members as whole
drives rather than partitions, I saw speculation on that a year ago or so.

Let us know if any of this is useful.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>