Re: grub not showing ubuntu partition

On 09/09/2010 01:20 PM, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:
<snip>

> PROBLEM:
> 1) After installing Fedora, rebooting the system does not come up with usual
> grub list of OS's and I can't log into ubuntu. I can only log into fedora
> though I can find the ubuntu partition and even browse my files there.

this is because fedora over wrote your ubuntu boot sector and fedora does
not recognize ubuntu partition.

> Can anybody suggest some other solution for a novice like me?

in fedora, directory "/boot/grub", file "grub.conf", add following
between ++++ at end of file.

++++

title Ubuntu os ($version.number)
    root (hd$x,$y)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-$version.number ro root=LABEL=/ \
      devfs=nomount resume=/dev/hd$x$y acpi=force vga=794
    initrd /boot/initrd-$version.number.img

++++

*notes:*
replace "$version.number" with ubuntu version
replace "$x" with drive number. where values are 0, 1, 2, 3.
replace "$y" with partition number. where values are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

"root=" may be "sda$y", "sdb$y", "sdc$y", "sdd$y", or "UUID" for partition.

use "acpi=force" to force loading of 'acpi'.

use "vga=794" to display a screen sizing of 54 x 120

"\" is a 'line break' and is not actually used.

*also:*
look at what is currently in your fedora 13 "grub.conf" file to get
idea of structure.

if your 'ubuntu' partition is mounted, open file "/boot/grub/grub.conf"
and copy "title" info to your f13 grub.conf file.

hth.

btw.
 if you would, please post in "text/plain" and not "text/html"
 thank you.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.