Re: Print multiple emails to one file

On 09/08/2010 04:03 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a program that can manipulate mbox files? I'd like
> to print about 50 emails to a single file so I can email them as a PDF
> to someone.
>
> Thunderbird will let you highlight and print multiple emails, but they
> all either overwrite each other or save to an individual file with all
> the headers, not just the ones that are suitable for display.

i am not aware of such a program, other that a 'digester', see below.

to get all of emails in one file, create a new 'folder file', copy emails
you want to new folder.

outside of thunderbird, open 'folder file' with a text editor and look at
headers.

you will note that all headers begin "From - " followed with a date. rest
of header, lines start with a capital character and end with ":". body of
email starts with a line space.

exceptions to this are some headers that are longer than 80 characters.
these headers *usually* wrap and continue with a tab, 11 spaces, or a
single space.

problems that you will have is removing of:

which are delimited with "--==============="

"Content-Type:" delimiters also begin line with 14 "-" dash characters.

'pgp-signatures' are delimited with "--------------enig" and are enclosed

3 more problems that you will run into:

you can use 'grep' to remove most of this, and then hand edit. but, to
remove all of this, you will need to use an 'awk'/'gawk' script or a
'digester', see below.

you may be aware of this, maybe not. main of presenting this is that
possibly someone who has a good grasp of 'awk' and 'gawk' can post
some pointers to help you work up a script to clean up thunderbird email
to a file for converting to a pdf file.

what would be best, is someone who is aware of how tech support sites
strip emails for sending as a 'digest'.

hth.

--

peace out.