Re: F12/13: Gnome Desktop Session saves - do not work

 On 09/02/2010 08:28 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 04:44 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> I am getting all sorts of wierd problems trying to
>> get the gnome desktop sessions save to work,
>> and it does not work most of the time or at least
>> I cannot save the durn thing at least once you know,
>> like the Ronco: "Save it and forget it!" sort of thing...
>> ok, ok, so I embellished it.
>>
>> When is this gonna get fixed - or - shall I ask, has
>> anyone else besides me have an issue with this?
> Well, I recall this was broken for several Fedora releases, ...
>
>> Sigh... Ubuntu got it right, so when is Fedora gonna
>> get it right?
>>
>> Fedora is my favorite distro but come on, it has not
>> worked right since F9 (barely), at least for me...
> .. but it started working for me since some Fedora releases (could have
> been F9)
>
>> grumbling....
>>
> Is your (Presuming you to be using GNOME)
> System
> ->Preferences
> ->Startup Applications->Options
> ->Automatically remember running applications when logging out
> check box marked "checked"?
>
> Ralf
Yes, that is correct.  it does not save very well, if at
all and also , there used to be a save button that
at least gives the user a "positive feedback" that
the settings are saved.  As it is with a standalone
checkbox, no such feedback or guarantee is offered
because you cannot tell if anything was saved before
or after a checkbox was checked and when a user
logs off or reboots.

Also, there are strange behaviours, such as when
using the desktop workspaces, desktop session saves
also remembers which workspace an app was saved,
in, positionally, and often times the apps from different
workspaces may collapse into a single workspace, become
positionally misplaced, or simply disappear altogether.

In short - we need that save session button back no matter
what - the ability to initiate a save on demand and not to
depend on checkbox method to do a successful save when
the user logs out or reboots the system - it is hugely unreliable,
or so I think.