Re: Aren't upgrades demanding too much restarts?

On 08/31/2010 05:56 PM, Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi JD,
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 19:47, JD<jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>   On 08/31/2010 03:17 PM, Andre Costa wrote:
>>> Latest F13 upgrades include two packages that "require" a restart:
>>> evolution-data-server and GtkHTML.
>>>
>>> ... ?! Is it really necessary to *reboot* because two desktop
>>> components have been upgraded? Shouldn't a logout/login be enough?
>>> This sounds like overkill, specially if you're the only one using the
>>> computer (i.e. there are no other users using those libraries/services
>>> besides you -- *if* you're using them). I don't even use Evolution!
>>>
>>> Isn't there any more clever way of determining if a reboot is really
>>> necessary? Or maybe at least the message should be less "demanding", I
>>> don't know... it really seems unneeded.
>>>
>>> I used to be proud of Linux only needing a reboot when the kernel (or
>>> some key component) was upgraded. This is sadly feeling like "those
>>> good old times" :-(
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Andre
>> It was bound to happen.
>> Way too many daemons are running linked with libraries that just got
>> updated.
>> That said, I think that unless you want to boot with the updated kernel, you
>> can get away with just doing;
>>
>> sudo init 1
>> Once you are in the single user shell, issue
>>
>> init 5
>>
>> This will at least get you running the the latest apps and libs while
>> staying with the currently booted kernel.
> Yes, it's slightly better than a reboot, but still more "drastic" than
> it should be IMHO. In this particular case (and many others I've seen
> recently), a simple logout should be enough AFAICS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre
A simple logout will not kill the many daemons and processes that are
still running AND linked to the older,  just replaced libraries.
Furthermore,
the very daemons themelves may have been replaced.
Such is life when you use a bleeding edge distro like Fedora.
There are other distros that do not issue so many updates
so frequently. Try Centos.