Re: Aren't upgrades demanding too much restarts?

  On 08/31/2010 03:17 PM, Andre Costa wrote:
> Latest F13 upgrades include two packages that "require" a restart:
> evolution-data-server and GtkHTML.
>
> ... ?! Is it really necessary to *reboot* because two desktop
> components have been upgraded? Shouldn't a logout/login be enough?
> This sounds like overkill, specially if you're the only one using the
> computer (i.e. there are no other users using those libraries/services
> besides you -- *if* you're using them). I don't even use Evolution!
>
> Isn't there any more clever way of determining if a reboot is really
> necessary? Or maybe at least the message should be less "demanding", I
> don't know... it really seems unneeded.
>
> I used to be proud of Linux only needing a reboot when the kernel (or
> some key component) was upgraded. This is sadly feeling like "those
> good old times" :-(
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre
It was bound to happen.
Way too many daemons are running linked with libraries that just got
updated.
That said, I think that unless you want to boot with the updated kernel, you
can get away with just doing;

sudo init 1
Once you are in the single user shell, issue

init 5

This will at least get you running the the latest apps and libs while
staying with the currently booted kernel.