Re: Aren't upgrades demanding too much restarts?

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 17:04 -0700, JD wrote:

> > In this particulary case, why not just an evolution --force-shutdown?
> > This will shutdown evolution-data-server. As simple as that.
>
> Is this thread only about evolution updates?

the OP complained about two components, which happened to be evolution
related. And moreover, the second component, libgtkhtml only deals with
evolution itself, not even the data-server. So I gave him a simpler
solution to avoid from entering runlevel 1 and then re-entering runlevel
5 (geez, you always do this when you update your system?). That's why I
wrote in my post "in this particular case".

But of course, if you think that finding which daemon should be updated,
killing it and then restarting (as linux always worked, even before the
fancy, candy-eyed, gui apps that make it looks like crappy windows) is a
little bit overkill, a simple reboot would save you from this pain. As a
matter of fact, those gui apps were meant exactly for this.

BTW, this reminded me to reboot to load the latest kernel... I was 4
releases behind ;)

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857