Re: Better Firefox fonts?

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 20:19 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> FWIW, I find it helpful that when an image is posted that the actual
> link also be posted so that folks looking at it can compare what they
> see on their system alongside of what the OP is seeing.

I concur.

> In my case my display looks just fine compared with the image.  It
> seems my system is picking a different font to use as to what the OP's
> system is using.

On mine, it looks reasonable.  The chosen font size is a bit on the
small side, actually quite a bit on the small side, so it's not going to
look the greatest.

For what it's worth, I'm using a laptop with an LCD screen, and the
appropriate subpixel smoothing for LCDs option is chosen.

Grumble:  I hate web incompetents who cluelessly think that its a good
idea to specify *smaller* *than* *normal* font sizes for main body text.

> I wonder...is there a simply way to determine what fonts are being
> used/displayed?  I've never looked into it or thought much about it.

I've wished that a few times, too.  I seem to recall that there was a
way of doing it (without going into something gory like stracing, or
something similar, while Firefox was browsing the page).  Perhaps this
browser plugin:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4415/

And a link in a comment on this page offers something for Google Chrome:
http://forum.weborum.com/index.php?showtopic=4134

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686