Re: Fedora 13 on Dell E6410 screen resolution problem

On Tuesday 24 August 2010 23:00:50 Greg Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 06:54 -0500, Brian Millett wrote:
> > iommu=soft
> >
> > will get it going.
>
> This did not work for me. After it goes through all the daemon startups,
> it gives a screen with a lot of crazy colors across the top, and alt-F2
> brings up a blank screen with a blinking cursor. The system will not
> respond to the keyboard other than to switch VTs. The only way to get
> the system to boot properly to graphical mode, that I have found, is to
> use the "nomodeset" boot parameter, but then it won't do anything better
> then 800x600.

That is exactly my problem. "iommu=soft" did not work "nomodeset" works but I
can only get 800x600.

> Even worse, it appears that the latest Linux version of the proprietary
> nvidia driver does not support this chip. It is listed as GT218 and not
> on the list of supported chips at the Nvidia web site. Trying to use
> this driver produces a message in Xorg.0.log that the NVIDIA chip could
> not be initialized.

I'm using the nouveau driver but I did try to install the proprietary nVidia
one but it wouldn't install so I can confirm that.

> Has anyone actually gotten Fedora 13 with X to run properly on one of
> these things? Right now mine is a paperweight. I'd try Ubuntu but I have
> no reason to expect it would be any better; this doesn't really look
> like a Fedora-specific issue, although a workaround might be.
>
> --Greg

I might have a crack at Ubuntu. I'll try anything to get this machine off my
hands right now ;-)

Thanks,

Tony