Re: Fedora Notifications System.

On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 18:59:08 Mahmoud Abdul Jawad wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:47 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What a horrible idea.  Please PLEASE don't make it the default, and
> > certainly make sure I can yum remove it (because I *will* remove it).
> >
> > I get enough spam already, I don't need yet another well-known way
> > for spammers to hack into my system and put ads in front of my face.
> > I also don't need yet another Surprise! distraction popping up on my
> > desktop.
> >
> > Besides, we already have a way to do this - it's called e-mail.
> > Or twitter.  Or usenet.  Or facebook.  Or the web.  Or IRC.  Let people
> > choose whether to get notices or not, and how, don't force it down their
> > throats the way some big companies do.
>
> i guess you didn't read the wiki page, that's why you are saying this.
> the problem is a large number of the newbies don't follow any of the list
> items you mentioned.
> however, the idea worth a small application that is well configed & easily
> manageable, & of course removable.

I think that having more choices is always better than fewer choices, so I
welcome the idea of a Yet Another Notification App, some people may like it
better than others.

But please --- make that thing opt-in rather than opt-out. I know that there
are newbies who don't know much about Fedora and would benefit from such an
app, but there are also the rest of us who will only get annoyed by it.
Newbies are bound to learn a lot of stuff anyway, so making them learn how to
turn on this notification app can be a Good Thing for them. However, making the
rest of us jump through hoops to turn it off has absolutely no benefit, and just
adds to the noise.

Maybe it would be a good idea to put an "Are you a newbie to Fedora?" question
in the Fedora installation procedure, and have Anaconda adjust the system
differently according to what the user answers. I would happily click that
query once every 6 months in order save myself from opt-ing out of all current
and future newbie-related stuff later on. It would be an easy way to change a
*lot* of default choices that are good for newbies but bad for seasoned users
and vice versa.

Best, :-)
Marko