Re: Migrating data off a failing drive

Hi Suvayu
I have made bad experiences with LVM toghether with ext4 and fedora 13.
I got hundreds of

Jul 17 15:38:05 casablanca kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
ext4_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 136800

in the respective logs.
When rebooting I also got hundreds of

Jul 17 15:38:22 casablanca kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
ext4_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 136784
Jul 17 15:38:23 casablanca kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
ext4_mb_generate_buddy: EXT4-fs: group 46: 9159 blocks in bitmap, 7910 in gd

where dm-0 means the first logical volume.

Since I have wiped out LVM from the disks, no problems any more.

If you still want to keep LVMs, do not forget to create the virtual
group(s):

   1. create a physical volume with pvcreate
   2. create the virtual groups in the physical volume using vgcreate
   3. create an LVM on the virtual groups with lvcreate
   4. make the file system into each logical volume

To copy the data, you may use rsync. In case you encounter disk errors
the following programs may be helpful:

dd_rescue
myrescue
badblocks